Water & Development Research Group carries out research on various themes, utilising diversity of methods. More information about our research can be found by reading our publications or browsing through the personal web pages of our researchers.
Key Research Themes:
- Water for food
- Climate change and water
- Integrated approaches to water management: IWRM, water-energy-food nexus
- Transboundary rivers, especially in Asia
- Role of power and politics in water management
- Water innovations & water business
Key Research Methods:
- Modeling in its various forms
- Big data and spatial analysis from local to global scale
- Governance, institutional & livelihood analyses
- Impact assessment
- Case studies, combining some or all above
Major part of our research is done through different kinds of research projects.
The projects are implemented in collaboration with different partners both in Finland and abroad, and enabled by external funds from various sources both in Finland and abroad.
Below is a non-exhaustive list of our on-going and past research projects.
On-going research projects:
Past research projects:
- Central Asian Waters
- IWRM in large Asian river basins – a distant dream or a blueprint to happiness
- Mekong Basin Development Challenge
- Exploring Tonle Sap Futures
- Development of policy frameworks for IWRM in the Ganges and Brahmaputra Basins
- Shared Water – Shared Opportunities: Integrated Water Management in International Rivers
- Interconnections of Water, Food, Poverty and Urbanisation
- IWRM and Impact Assessment in the Mekong Region
- Urbanisation and Water
- Water and Unsustainable Development in the Ancient City of Angkor
- Water, Energy, Ecosystems and Climate Change
- Water footprint in Finland: www.vesijalanjalki.org
- Water Governance in Middle East and Northern Africa
- Water Governance in West Africa